Beauty Tips for Oily Skin
If you’re looking for beauty tips for oily skin, you’ve come to the right place. While everyone wishes they had perfect skin, the truth is that most people have combination-type skin, with some areas drier than normal and other areas oilier than normal. If you’ve got mostly-oily skin, we’ve got some beauty and prevention tips for you. If you have dry areas as well, most dermatologists recommend treating those areas differently, so you may need to customize a skin care plan based on your unique individual needs.
How to Prevent Oily Skin
Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to prevent oily skin. These tips can help, though.
- Wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser. If you don’t have sensitive skin, use a gentle astringent or toner. Don’t scrub your face; wash it gently. Then pat it dry.
- Don’t wash your face too often. This may seem counterintuitive, because if you have oily skin, you might want to remove the oil frequently. Washing your face more than two or three times a day can backfire, though. If you remove too much oil, your face may try to compensate by producing even more oil. You could also end up with dry, irritated skin.
- If your skin feels excessively oily during the day, try using blotting paper to remove excess oil gently without irritating the skin or stimulating even more oil production. Don’t scrub your face with blotting paper, just apply it gently to the oily areas.
- Some skin care products can actually make skin oily (or oilier). Look for oil-free products and products labeled noncomedogenic, which means they won’t clog your pores and cause pimples. Check the labels of any products you use on your skin, including makeup and sunscreen.
- Don’t avoid using moisturizer in an attempt to prevent oily skin. Instead, use an oil-free moisturizer and apply it very lightly. (1)
- Look for oil-free hair care products as well as skin care products. Using oily products on your hair can also make your skin oily.
- Eat a healthful diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Some people think that eating greasy food, like fried foods and many snack foods, causes oily skin but the evidence is not clear about that. Still, we do know that a healthful diet leads to healthy skin and staying well-hydrated also keeps your skin fresh and healthy-looking.
- Avoid touching your face a lot during the day. We often touch our face without thinking about it, but your hands get dirty and your fingers also secrete oils and that dirt and oil can make your face extra oily if you touch your face frequently.
- If you are particularly concerned, talk to a dermatologist about how to prevent oily skin and how to treat your skin if it is oily. There is a lot of misinformation out there, so it’s better to get the facts from a physician than to try a lot of unproven things that might end up making matters worse instead of helping.
Other Beauty Tips for Oily Skin
These other beauty tips for oily skin will help keep your skin looking and feeling its best.
- If you have oily skin, look for makeup that is specially formulated for oily skin. Ordinary types of makeup can clog your pores and make skin increasingly oily. Here is more on makeup products for oily skin.
- Use minimal makeup. Of course you want to look your best, but heavy makeup is not good for oily skin. A light layer of concealer followed by a light layer of translucent powder will help prevent your skin from taking on an oily shine while evening out your skin tone.
- Remove your makeup before bed. Leaving makeup on overnight can lead to oily skin and clogged pores.
- Use a facial mask designed for oily skin once or twice a week to remove excess oil and debris. Don’t use a facial mask more often, though, because that can irritate or dry out your skin.
Recommended Skin Care Products for Oily Skin
Some of the best skin care products we’ve found for oily skin are those offered by Desert Essence. The Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash contains natural ingredients like tea tree oil, lavender oil and chamomile flower extract, which gently cleanse the skin and remove excess oil without drying out the skin. It’s uniquely suited for regular use on oily or sensitive skin. To learn more and read reviews from people that have tried it, just follow the link.
Oily Skin Foundation - How to choose the proper foundation if you have oily skin. Product recommendations.
Is there an Oily Skin Cure? There is no cure, but there are things you can do to manage your oily skin.
Return From Beauty Tips for Oily Skin To Home Page
(1)WebMD: Managing Oily Skin